Last Saturday, I was beyond pleased to have the opportunity to present my battery electric to the public at my local National Drive Electric Week event. Each year, National Drive Electric Week is held around 08-16 September. This is a designated week to show, promote, and educate your friends, neighbours, the city, the public, and everyone else who may otherwise not have adequate knowledge about electric vehicles. This event allows those who already go about their day traveling on electrons to essentially showcase their vehicle in a public location, by presenting up close and personal interactions with members of the community who are curious about these intelligent vehicles. The events held through National Drive Electric Week aim to help dissolve the barrier people often experience when visiting dealerships looking for battery electrics, or otherwise electrified transportation (think hybrids), without the dismay of the sales representative knowing zip about this class of vehicle. The local drivers who attend these events look forward to sharing their real-world experience from driving electric with anyone and everyone. Others and I admire the curiosity our electrics draw from the public. Ask your questions because we look forward to share the wealth of our knowledge and personal insights with you.
I took delivery of my 2015 Nissan Leaf just over a year ago, on 01 September 2017. Of course, I could have attended the 2016 event, however, I decided I would prefer a year of personal experience driving electric to match my knowledge of battery electric mobility to real world experience. Similar to the many things one may learn in the classroom, one must also step forward and develop experience in the real world.
The event I attended was held on 15 September at the Green Square Park in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It was a very sunny morning even at 10 o’clock when the event commenced. For three whole hours I stood in proximity to my Leaf and addressed prompts from those passing by or otherwise intrigued by my Morning Sky Blue electric. In addition to myself, there were a few other participants attending as well, which consequently included a: Tesla Model 3, BMW i3 REx, Honda Clarity Plug-in, in addition to the second-generation versions of the Nissan Leaf (2018) and Chevy Volt. I even brought my one-of-a-kind, smart ebike to show. Neat. It may seem silly to point it out, but my electric was the oldest one there. Three model-years is what it is, although my electric still fulfils its intended role as an investment, and most certainly does it keep this reality in check with my lifestyle. A Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in signed up for the event, but it never showed up.
In combination to the visual cues provided by my Leaf, I prepared some last-minute handouts in paper folders to distribute to interested souls. Last-minute they were indeed, yet I am still pleased I maintained academic standards by including citations and even housing the literature in blue folders. I wasn’t sure how many people were going to attend this Cedar Rapids event, so I prepared 20 sets. Only a handful actually made its way to a new home, but that’s okay. I can evaluate what documents I included this year and make revisions accordingly in anticipation for 2019.
In combination to the visual cues provided by my Leaf, I prepared some last-minute handouts in paper folders to distribute to interested souls. Last-minute they were indeed, yet I am still pleased I maintained academic standards by including citations and even housing the literature in blue folders. I wasn’t sure how many people were going to attend this Cedar Rapids event, so I prepared 20 sets. Only a handful actually made its way to a new home, but that’s okay. I can evaluate what documents I included this year and make revisions accordingly in anticipation for 2019.
I really enjoyed participating in my local event. Not only is it high-quality résumé material for volunteering, this event also allowed me to show others around me my knowledge, enthusiasm, and belief in battery electric mobility. Truth be told, I was even asked what dealership I worked for. Although I’m not currently employed at a dealership or a showroom, people were impressed that this 21-year-old is actually driving electric and is able to expand upon it. Various souls were surprised to hear me exclaim my 2015 Leaf is more energy efficient than a 2018 Model S. Indeed, that statement is true: the EPA declares that to be factual, as seen on FuelEconomy.gov, in relation to energy consumption per 100 miles. Those people were also puzzled to learn I wasn’t a student of engineering, but rather accounting. That’s okay; sometimes it surprises even me to say that aloud.
Next year, and most certainly the years proceeding, be sure to check out DriveElectricWeek.org and locate your local event. It’s fun to enlighten others who may otherwise be hesitant towards electric mobility or are bogged with poorly constructed agendas fuelled by Big Oil. Aside from my age, I don’t quite consider myself an early adapter of battery electrics since they have been around for over a century. That is indeed a historically true and factual statement. Although, I am a revived soul who knows better than to drive gasoline just as people knew so as well over 100 years ago, the legacy I am making now in the present will help future development and advancement in electric mobility as more people turn away from gasoline and plug in. I’m already excited for next year’s event. It’s time to start planning.
Next year, and most certainly the years proceeding, be sure to check out DriveElectricWeek.org and locate your local event. It’s fun to enlighten others who may otherwise be hesitant towards electric mobility or are bogged with poorly constructed agendas fuelled by Big Oil. Aside from my age, I don’t quite consider myself an early adapter of battery electrics since they have been around for over a century. That is indeed a historically true and factual statement. Although, I am a revived soul who knows better than to drive gasoline just as people knew so as well over 100 years ago, the legacy I am making now in the present will help future development and advancement in electric mobility as more people turn away from gasoline and plug in. I’m already excited for next year’s event. It’s time to start planning.


No comments:
Post a Comment