02 January 2020

Welcoming 2020

            The distinct look of 2020 projects an image of something... futuristic! In the prior decade, I would have thought to myself "Wow! What a novel and quality weighted numerical value for a year." Fortunate enough for those living currently in the present, 2020 is another modern day of age; one day, 2020 will be just another calendar year of the past, and there will be more inspiring years to come- like 2100!

            The following twelve objectives are things I wish to bring into my reality during 2020. Abracadabra:
  1. Be proud of myself, for both my past and current achievements, plus those developing for the future.

  2. Refrain from wasting so much time on inherently valueless activities, which otherwise do not help contribute towards my human capital, well-being, or professional advancement.

  3. Boost my abilities as a cautious and responsible consumer- continue thrift shopping when and where possible and appropriate, purchase frequent items in bulk to maintain a stockpile at home, and continue the ongoing benefits of my reusable bags.

  4. Knit a scarf. Even if it's not chilly at the time, I need to know those bamboo knitting needles I have are being used.

  5. Read at minimum one book a month. I regularly find myself amazed with the world of books resting too comfortably at the library- many of which I would like to become familiar with their story.

  6. Strengthen my French language abilities. I took an honest approach to the French language during my first two years in college (2015-2017), via four French courses. Unfortunately for your linguistic health, you lose the skills you don't practice; turning my attention over to two years of accounting courses wasn't remotely helpful when it came to divert additional time to something otherwise joyful. When I was in Lyon previous in June, it was honestly rewarding to say something, anything at a beginners level, in French.

  7. Maintain a set reserve (balance) in my checking account. Long story short, $1,000 is where I would like to see the lowest balance be this year. The bar will be raised once my status evolves the "student + part-time work" phase.

  8. Continue putting away money every day into a designated savings account. For almost the entirety of Q1 and Q2 of 2019, I had a constant stream of additional income which allowed me to tuck away $20 daily- it was wonderful. Although the savings amount became more variable for the remainder of the year, I was very impressed with just how capable your savings can grow- when you intentionally allow it to grow.

  9. Firmly document my spending- all of it. I have already derived an Excel spreadsheet to capture in simple remarks where I'm making purchases, broken down into the principle, tax, discount, coupon, and (net) total, along with the ten unique possible forms of payment I might use. It's troublesome to receive your W-2(s), review the gross earnings, and wonder where all that money went- because it most certainly isn't in the bank...

  10. Journal. I began personal journaling in 2018, and I enjoy the concept. Although I don't always reread what I have written because the past is behind me, I admire the idea of historically documenting my life for things I think at the time are noteworthy writing about.

  11. Gain weight. Yes, that's right- I would like to weigh 10-20lbs more.

  12. Continue learning about sustainability in our advancing world today, with factors involving: personal and public methods of transportation, lifestyles, housing, energy, and future investments able to be approach in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment