23 March 2020

A Little From Rue...

            The following are quotes from “My First Five Husbands— And the Ones Who Got Away” by Rue McClanahan. Reading her biography, I instantly developed a sense of admiration as she presented her early beginnings in life, the struggles and decisions that must be made during adulthood, all while knowing there is something greater waiting ahead in life. Rue's simple pose, yet advanced diction and complex insights were each an unexpected marvel from a biography. One continuous theme I found in her composition is the idea of overcoming the dilemmas existing in the present. Everyone faces difficult segments in life; the way one looks into the future in order to better the present can ultimately be too powerful of an influence between staying in a rut or blossoming in the sunshine. My ongoing compliments are to you, Rue.
  • “Every life includes a cast of thousands. Some are principle players, others have walk-on roles, and extras are always coming and going in the background.”
  • “Promise me that if you take one thing away from this little journey of mine, it will be to henceforth and forevermore always summon the wit to say, ‘Let me think it over.’ Repeat after me: Let me think it over.”
  • “Life was going splendidly. But…
                Question: Why does there always have to be that but?
                Answer: Because it’s Life, darlings! Every loaf of bread must have its heel.”
  • “My attention to detail tends to be exhausting. That’s why I give so few parties. And look so young.”
  • “Do I sound like I’m blowing my own horn? Good! Because most of the time it was a trumpet solo.”
  • “I learned a lot from Blanche about optimism and joie de vivre, feeling confident about what you have to offer the world, and the ability to bounce back from life’s momentary failures. Blanche Devereaux is a wonderful rebounder, never down for the count, always back up to fight again, to look again on the brightside. I loved that about her.”
  • “Always prone to saving money, I was now spending it, but I was creating something divine. Even if I couldn’t afford it for life, for a while I would live in a little bit of heaven."
  •  "There are two things to aim for in life: First, get what you want. Then, enjoy it.”
  • "I hate the madness going on in the world, but in my personal life, the beauty stays ahead of the ugliness, and in my professional life, good work hasn’t stopped coming my way, bringing joys and challenges.”

Work Cited
McClanahan, Rue. My First Five Husbands-- and the Ones Who Got Away. New York, Broadway Books, 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment