Today marked the last day on the academic calendar for my first two years in college. This is pretty exciting stuff, if I do say so myself. Aside from stating the obvious, college is indeed a different atmosphere than what it was like in high school. For one thing, you may easily describe the college experience as far more independent than what it was like during my senior year in high school. What I’m referring to here, is not necessarily social freedom and frequent evening outings, though rather coming to terms of realizing you’re in an entirely new chapter in your life. This particular chapter may not always be fun each day, but the point is you should be proud you have taken the initiative to continue your education in a completely refreshed environment away from the group of people you became acquainted with over the last four years, or seven, or your whole life.
My first semester into the world of college began in the Autumn of 2015, at Kirkwood Community College. As with anything in life, you will make mistakes; I know I most certainly have. Although, at the end of the day, or in some cases at the end of the semester, I have found myself looking over my academic semester and seeing what accomplishments I am proud of myself for finishing, and other situations where I wince at my past actions. I’m not trying to be perfect or have a flawless academic record, because I’m neither perfect nor flawless. Some things will very well not go in your favour; you should still make an honest attempt and still try. If I were to know two years ago what I know today about being in college, by all means, yes, I would have made changes and revisions towards my academic studies. Now, I’m not talking about reading articles and watching short videos about college life hacks prior to starting college all together, although, rather as a hint to review your progress at the end of each semester, or even at the mid-term, and ask yourself if your current position is how you want to see yourself carry out the remainder of your studies. Just like many other students, I know what it’s like to feel academically overwhelmed, and frankly it’s not a fun experience to be in this sort of situation. What I’ve learned is, your attitude towards your academic studies will in turn influence your overall performance, for the best or the worst of things, during the semester or even the entire academic year. Remaining positive each morning before class beings will help strengthen your ongoing ambitions towards being a successful go-getter, an accomplisher, a work of art, a role model, instead of someone who...
My first semester into the world of college began in the Autumn of 2015, at Kirkwood Community College. As with anything in life, you will make mistakes; I know I most certainly have. Although, at the end of the day, or in some cases at the end of the semester, I have found myself looking over my academic semester and seeing what accomplishments I am proud of myself for finishing, and other situations where I wince at my past actions. I’m not trying to be perfect or have a flawless academic record, because I’m neither perfect nor flawless. Some things will very well not go in your favour; you should still make an honest attempt and still try. If I were to know two years ago what I know today about being in college, by all means, yes, I would have made changes and revisions towards my academic studies. Now, I’m not talking about reading articles and watching short videos about college life hacks prior to starting college all together, although, rather as a hint to review your progress at the end of each semester, or even at the mid-term, and ask yourself if your current position is how you want to see yourself carry out the remainder of your studies. Just like many other students, I know what it’s like to feel academically overwhelmed, and frankly it’s not a fun experience to be in this sort of situation. What I’ve learned is, your attitude towards your academic studies will in turn influence your overall performance, for the best or the worst of things, during the semester or even the entire academic year. Remaining positive each morning before class beings will help strengthen your ongoing ambitions towards being a successful go-getter, an accomplisher, a work of art, a role model, instead of someone who...
No comments:
Post a Comment